Wednesday 10 November 2010

Onion Marmalade

I found this recipe in a forum I often use, so I hope it's ok that I write it here. I had a big bag of onions left from my Riverford Veg Box and was also looking for things to make to add to home-made Christmas hampers which I am giving as gifts. I made it last night, and my hubby, who taste-tested it, says it's lovely!

You need:

1.5-2 kgs onions.
500ml balsamic vinegar
Half a small cup of sugar
Some sterilised preserving jars with vinegar proof lids

1. Peel and chop your onions finely and place them in a big pan.
2. Pour over the balsamic vinegar.
3. Sprinkle on about half a child-size cup full of ordinary sugar.
4. Simmer away for 2 hours stirring every 5-10 minutes.
5. After two hours  your mixture should be lovely and soft. Taste and add a little more sugar if needed. If not,  you can bottle it all then.
6. To sterilise your jars: wash in warm soapy water. Rinse with boiling water. Place on a baking sheet in a warm oven to dry for 10-15 mins. They are now ready!
7. Once bottled up, wipe the jars with a damp cloth to remove any spillage. Marmalade can be eaten straight away or kept in a cool dark place for up to 3 months.
8. Be warned, as the mixture cools in the jars, you will hear the seal 'pop' tightly to form a vacuum. Warn any husbands who may be in the house, that this may happen. Especially if you are going out. As they may a) get a fright and b) wander round the house wondering what keeps making the noise.

Hope they make nice gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment