Thursday 7 October 2010

Re-discovering the Creative Me

In the years BC (before children), time was aplenty. I remember long lie ins, I mean REALLY long, way past 9am! I remember turning my hand to card making, meticulously keeping photo albums of holidays, summers, city breaks, friends and one extra-special one of my step-son's time with us. Now I have to-do lists; lists of bits the children need for the autumn/winter, list of things I have been meaning to do for a LONG time, lists of things I need to do today, this week, in the garden... and so the lists go on. The photo albums haven't been updated in months, a bag of card-making and craft bits sits dusty on the shelf waiting for me to finish our honeymoon album, and several pairs of curtains(well 4 pairs actually) are that little bit too long. There's no room in this busy family filled lifestyle for a more creative me, despite the lovely old singer sewing machine sat up in our bedroom, kindly given to me via freecycle by a lovely couple whose mum sadly no longer needs it since she went into a home. I feel a duty, an obligation to put it to good use and hem the curtains, make some lavendar filled hearts for my Mother-in-law's Christmas Present and maybe even some lovely Christmas bunting. My lovely (half-knitted) scarf sits in the dining room screaming to be finished and those albums arent going to complete themselves.

Top of my lists is the need to make room for my creative side. The practical need for Christmas gifts to be made and various pairs of curtains to be hemmed aside, since we moved here in February I haven't been myself, I've been feeling down in the dumps, not sure which direction to take my life in, and generally quite sorry for myself. I'm hoping that by making time for my creative side my confidence will increase, I'll be happier in who I am and the life I live... oh and there'll be less on my to do list too. Well at least this is one thing off my list, start a blog. Chance for my literary creative side to be explored.

I hope you enjoy reading the adventures of my wonderful, fun-loving, life-loving brood as much as I enjoy and feel privellaged to share their lives with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment